Media Commons expands to include video, audio studios

Before the semester ends, University students will have access to an expansive technology collection and both audio and video studios. The Media Commons, located in the Undergraduate Library, will expand to offer staff and students the opportunity to create several types of digital media.

“This is something that, over the years, we’ve had many requests for from students who needed assistance in media editing, and faculty as well,” said Lori Mestre, head of the Undergraduate Library. “The service that we’re providing really has been a long-term process, and it’s great to see that it’s finally shaping up.”

The Media Commons video studio, which has been in production since last spring, will include professional quality lights, camera and a green screen. The space has mostly been used by faculty and a few student organizations since it opened last semester, said Jake Metz, Media Commons tech support specialist,

“It’s not for video projects for class,” Metz said. “It’s more for someone who has a professional goal in mind and for people who know they need professional quality, but don’t have access to that technology.”

Metz said this is mostly because the studio is not yet user-friendly enough for people with minimal video skills to use. He said he hopes to make it more accessible to all students by next fall.

The Media Commons are halfway done with an audio studio located on the lower level of the library. The studio will include two soundproof rooms with professional recording and editing equipment.

Marlon Mueller-Soppart, junior in Business, began using the Media Commons’s technology last spring and has continued to use it at least three times a month.

“The investment to show that they care about the Media Commons is good, obviously,” said Mueller-Soppart. “It allows lots of students to actually do video projects because, as we know, the Adobe stuff is expensive, along with these computers.”

Mueller-Soppart said he also looks forward to the media workshops that the Media Commons hopes to offer this year. They will cover topics including basic editing skills, a media workshop on closed captioning and media copyright, Metz said.

Loanable technology circulated more than 53,000 times throughout the 2012-2013 school year, said senior library specialist Janelle Sander.

She said she believes more people are using the Media Commons this year, and she sees students and faculty using it for different purposes, such as editing.

Metz said they hope to expand the loanable technology available to students. They currently offer cameras, camera lights, recorders, hard drives and other types of technology that enable students to create media.

As new technology comes out, Metz said the collection will continue to be updated and refreshed. He said he hopes to continue to foster the creation of media by students through the Media Commons.

“We’re very excited to think about how this can evolve, and we’re going to have to start reserving the collaboration spaces, the media editing spaces and the media production room,” said Mestre. “But we’re excited because that’s what we’re hoping … that it will be explosive.”

Taylor can be reached [email protected].