Bar checks result in over 70 citations

An operation Campus Tap was conducted by the Illinois State Police on Aug. 24. The bar checks were conducted at bars and campus street areas in Champaign county.

A total of 52 citations were were issued by the ISP and Champaign police. Of the 52 citations, 13 were issued at KAM’S, eight at Red Lion, seven at White Horse Inn, two at The Clybourne, 10 at Campus area streets and 12 at private parties.

The citations were given for possession/purchase of alcohol by a minor, sale/delivery to a minor and unlawful use of identification.

Another operation Campus Tap was conducted on Aug. 30 and resulted in a total of 26 citations. Of the 26 citations, seven were issued at KAM’S, three at It’s Brothers, four at Red Lion, four at The Clybourne, two at White Horse Inn and six on Campus area streets.

The citations were given for possession/purchase of alcohol by a minor, possession on public property/business parking lots, announcement by license and possession of drug paraphernalia.

The goal of Operation Campus Tap is to reduce underage drinking in Illinois by increasing police presence in the campus area and enforcing action in cases of illegal consumption and possession of alcohol or drugs by minors, impaired driving and the sale of alcohol to minors.