C-U community remembers 9/11

In commemoration of 9/11, ROTC will host its annual run around the Quad at 6 a.m. on Wednesday. The run starts at the Armory and ends on the Quad and is just under three miles.

Maj. Chris Bourbeau, marine officer instructor at the University of Illinois ROTC, said it is important to continue awareness of 9/11 within the community. However, Bourbeau said many students were around eight years old when 9/11 occurred, so they were not affected by it on a personal level.

“Time heals wounds. I think the wounds are (beginning) to heal, so people aren’t passionately aggressive about 9/11,” Bourbeau said. “It’s important to educate and remind people what happened (and of) the sacrifice a lot of men and women made by joining the military due to 9/11.”

Nick Osborne, an assistant dean for Student Services, works with the Veteran Student Support Services that cosponsor the events by helping to advertise it. Osborne said an estimated 200 to 250 people usually participate in the event.

“When I first started here, we had all of the ROTC runners,” Osborne said. “Now we have University police officers, firefighters (and) students, veterans and disabled, all participating.”

Local veterans will also have a chance to participate in the event. Royal Mortensen, director of the Fire Institute and retired Marine Corps Colonel, will be giving a speech while local veteran Ted Sandwell, will play the military song “Taps” during the run to recognize and honor those who died on 9/11, as well as for those who lost their lives while serving in the military, Osborne said.

Another campus event that will honor the anniversary of 9/11 include the Sept. 11 Memorial Concert at Smith Memorial Hall at 7:45 a.m.

The Champaign Fire Department, Chaplain David Ashby and Champaign Fire Chief Douglas Forsman are also hosting a remembrance ceremony for local area responders at the northeast corner of West Side Park on the corners of State Street and Church Street at 9 a.m.