Groce lands 4-star PG recruit Snider

The wait is over for Illini fans – Quentin Snider is coming to Champaign.

Since the four-star point guard’s official visit to campus this past weekend, rumors have been swelling about where he will go to college.

On Sunday, there was a report that Snider had committed to Illinois, which turned out to be false.

On Monday, there was an in-home visit from Illinois head coach John Groce. Tuesday, an in-home visit from UCLA head coach Steve Alford. There was also a report Tuesday from The Champaign Room that Snider will choose Illinois.

Snider finally announced his commitment to Illinois on Thursday. He said he chose Illinois because of Groce.

“He’s real trustworthy,” Snider said. “When I talk to the players about him, everything he says is just true.”

Snider said Illinois’ location and style of play fit into what he wanted to do.

“(Groce) said I fit in perfect in his system with the way they set the pick and rolls,” said.

Snider — the No. 28 player in the class of 2014 by ESPN, No. 31 by Rivals and No. 34 by 247sports and the No. 7 point guard according to both ESPN and Scout — is the third recruit in the class of 2014. Four-star forward Leron Black committed on September 1, while 6-foot-9 forward and Champaign-native Michael Finke committed last December.

Snider’s final decision came down to Illinois and UCLA, though he had also been considering Michigan State and Connecticut. He originally committed to his hometown school of Louisville but decommitted after the Cardinals received a commitment from fellow top-30 point guard JaQuan Lyle, who had also been considering Illinois.

As of now, the Illini don’t have a scholarship for Snider on the 2014-15 roster, though that could change if senior transfer Ahmad Starks is granted a waiver to play immediately. Starks could be eligible for a waiver since he moved closer to his hometown of Chicago to be near his ailing grandmother.

Five-star center Cliff Alexander is also still considering Illinois. If Alexander committed, it seems there would have to be some shuffling, even if Starks is granted a waiver.

Groce said Friday that scholarships will work out.

“At the end of the day, we can count,” Groce said. “It’s well thought out, I can assure you.”

Johnathan can be reached at [email protected] and @jhett93.