Emergency-care clinic opening in Campustown

Students will now have another health care option near campus.

Champaign-Urbana Healthcare will open an urgent-care clinic next month on the corner of Wright and Green streets, at 631 E. Green St. The clinic will only be on the first floor of the building, which previously housed a bank but has been vacant for more than a year.

“I think it’s a great location. It’s probably the most premier spot in Campustown,” said Dr. Tom Pliura, CEO of Champaign-Urbana Healthcare.

Pliura has been an emergency physician for 29 years and has operated multiple outpatient facilities, just like the clinic, throughout the state.

The clinic will offer gynecological care and a minor trauma room, as well as digital X-ray and laboratory capabilities. He said the goal of the new clinic will be to provide alternative health care for students.

“It’ll be a great location for somebody with quick and urgent-type needs. It’s just an additional option for health care services in addition to McKinley,” Pliura said. “We will be right down on the thick of things, as far as location. We think we’re going to be quick, easy and friendly.”

Pliura said he has noticed that McKinley Health Center has limited hours, so he is planning for the clinic to be open a minimum of 12 hours on weekdays and weekends.

“People don’t always have the time to take the day off or miss a class,” he said. “They’ll be able to come in and quickly get cared for (with this new clinic).”

He added that the clinic will not be free, but his decision to open the new clinic near the University was in response to the Affordable Care Act. Because of the Affordable Care Act, most students have options that they did not have prior to the act, Pliura said. Under the act, adults can remain on their parents’ insurance until they turn 26.

Pliura and his company are planning to open up more clinics near college campuses across the state and said they plan to open clinics at Eastern Illinois University, Illinois State University and Southern Illinois University at Carbondale in the coming months.

Danielle can be reached at [email protected]