Big Ten power rankings: Week 4

Editor’s note: Every week, The Daily Illini football staff ranks the football teams in the Big Ten 1-12 and compiles the lists into its own Big Ten power rankings.

1. Ohio State (Last Week: 1)

2. Northwestern (4)

3. Michigan (2)

Michigan escaped with the win against Akron, but the fact that the Wolverines needed a goal-line stand to fend off the Zips was enough to push them down to No. 3 in the conference. Notre Dame’s struggles with Purdue make Big Blue’s win in Week 2 look less impressive.

4. Wisconsin (3)

5. Michigan State (7)

6. Nebraska (5)

Everything looked fine for the Cornhuskers, who were at home and held an 18-point lead with one minute to go before halftime. Nebraska gave up a quick score before the break and couldn’t stop a defensive nosebleed en route to a 41-21 loss.

7. Minnesota (9)

The Gophers pulled away from FCS foe Western Illinois in the second half of Saturday’s game to earn a 21-12 victory; however, the lasting memory from the contest was Minnesota head coach Jerry Kill suffering another seizure on the sidelines — his fourth in three seasons.

8. Illinois (8)

9. Penn State (6)

The Nittany Lions dropped to ninth after a less-than-stellar performance at home against Central Florida. Penn State lost 34-31 despite another solid game from freshman quarterback Christian Hackenburg. If Penn State can get its defense sorted out, they’ve shown the ability to put up points under head coach Bill O’Brien.

10. Indiana (10)

11. Iowa (11)

12. Purdue (12)