From the editor: The Daily Illini’s advertising policy

In today’s issue, you will see a paid advertisement from FLAME, Facts & Logic About the Middle East.

Some newspapers have run the group’s advertisements, some have not. Our company, after much deliberation, decided to run the one you’ll see today, and there could be similar advertisements from the group throughout the year.

We understand the opinions in the advertisement, portrayed as facts, may offend some of our readers. But the opinions should not be considered to reflect those of the Illini Media Company, The Daily Illini or any of its employees.

Publishing the advertisement was a business decision — that was ultimately of the publisher, not anyone on the editorial staff.

Through the paid advertisement, FLAME is stating its opinions under its First Amendment rights, just like any other organization pushing an agenda.

Then-Justice Louis Brandeis famously wrote in a Supreme Court decision: “If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence.”

With that, we encourage you to express your voice and reach out to us.

Darshan is a senior in Media. He can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @drshnpatel.