Illini lose first game in shootout

The No. 4 ranked Illini (6-1) lost their first game of the season to Iowa State in a shootout Friday night. 

Iowa State winger Trevor Lloyd scored twice in regulation and again in the shootout to give the No. 8 ranked Cyclones a 4-3 win.

Returning seniors, captain Austin Bostock and assistant captain Mike Evans both scored in their first game back after each missing the first six with shoulder injuries.

Evans said he felt ecstatic after his goal and that it confirmed that he was back, helping contribute to the team.

“I said to (Bostock) in between periods, ‘You know, it’s good to be back,’ and he kind of fist-pumped me,” Evans said. “We both felt good out there and happy to contribute.”

Bostock was just as happy after scoring, hugging teammates and even taking a lap to goaltender Nick Clarke to give him a high-five.

“It felt good and I could tell my teammates knew I wanted it,” Bostock said. “I plan to score goals this season, so it was good to get the first one but there’s more to come.”

But the extra boost in the Illini lineup wasn’t enough to shake off the Cyclones, who came back twice — tying the game at 2-2 with eight seconds left in the second and again at 3-3 with about five minutes remaining in the third.

After the game, Fabbrini said he felt disappointed about the game’s outcome, but not shameful.

“In the first period, we came out pretty flat and we can’t afford to do that,” Fabbrini said. “It cost us a little bit, and we let off the gas a little bit in the third too and let them back in the game.”

Nearly even in CSCHL conference matchup, Iowa and Illinois both entered the shootout with 28 shots and three goals. The game was only decided after two scoreless rounds in the shootout when Lloyd tossed a backhanded shot off the pads of Illini goaltender Nick Clarke and into the net. The small margin of difference was the only thing that could eventually separate the two top-10 ranked teams.

Bostock said the loss left a bitter taste in his mouth, coming in his first game back and against the same Iowa State team who knocked them out of the CSCHL conference tournament last season.

“I’m pissed,” Bostock said. “I hate losing more than I like winning. I’ve got to sleep on this one.”