Fall Fashion Do’s & Don’ts

While high-low dresses, chino shorts and pastel colors dominated summer wardrobes, the season has changed and fall apparel is ready for a new vogue. The pumpkin-picking season calls for autumn-colored hues, plenty of layers and outerwear accessories. Here are the season’s guidelines on what is “in” and how to add your own flair to keep it “fall fresh.”

DOs

Jade Williams, Akira representative and junior in Fine and Applied Arts, has always had a keen eye for fashion. As president of College Fashion Connect, she has had experience in bringing unfamiliar students into the fashion world.

“Fashion do’s this season are definitely to wear cool prints and textures like corduroy pants,” Williams said. “And when it comes to layering, try doing things like wearing shirts under button-ups and throw on a printed jacket over it.”

To accentuate layered outerwear, she recommends that students experiment with different types of knit hats or beanies. She also said that boots are an essential for fall, including riding, motorcycle and ankle boots.

“We’re going back to more of a grungy look,” she said. “Plaid is a big thing again, and oversized sweaters are really in. People should also really look at leather accents.”

Charmaine Simmons, fashion blogger and campus representative for Rent the Runway, emphasized that print and texture necessities are not only for girls, but boys as well.

“Some boys are really trendy now — I feel like guys can play around textured pants,” said the junior in LAS. “Playing around with texture and patterns and dark plaid is really popular for boys these days.”

Another unisex style for the season is leather items and accessories.

“Boys and girls should own a leather jacket; everyone should have one,” Simmons said. “It’s a necessity to add an edgy touch to things.”

As a continued popular style from last year, leather accents can make a regular outfit look a lot better, Simmons said. These can include a leather coat or having leather trim on a sweater.

Aside from leather, patterns and layering, Williams and Simmons said that colors play an essential role this season.

Colors like oxblood, burgundy, maroon and “jewel-tone colors” like emerald and royal blues are major do’s, Williams said. However, students shouldn’t be afraid to add subtle bright colors to their outfits either.

“A strategic placement of something, like a bright pink scarf with more warm colored hues, can be just the extra flare an outfit needs,” she said. “Don’t stick to all dark colors; the weather is already cold, so don’t make your outfit look so cold too. Spice it up.”

When it comes to finding what is trendy and how to jump into fashion, Williams and Simmons both agreed that fashion blogs are the best way to find out about new styles.

“If people want to get into what’s popular right now, I say start online (and) look into fashion blogs,” Williams said. “The Man Repeller is one of my favorite ones. To me, blogs are one of the best ways to find out what’s in and how to make it your own at the same time.“

Williams has a fashion blog of her own, which has also been turned into an online store at style-aesthetics.com.

Simmons, who has a fashion blog as well, said that if students want to become “fashionable” it all depends on what look they’re going for. Inspiration can even come from paying attention to styles seen while walking around campus.

“If they’re lost, a great way to get inspired is by checking out fashion magazines,” Simmons said. “Also street-style fashion is number one right now in getting people looking at fashion.”

DON’Ts

Where there are do’s, there will inevitably be don’ts, and Williams and Simmons share what they don’t like for this season.

“Don’t do summer prints, like flowers or palm trees, and please don’t wear Ugg boots unless (you’re) wearing sweatpants,” Williams said. “Ugg boots are for dress-down clothes only.”

Simmons said that shoes like wedge boots are major don’ts, and that people should look more at ankle boots instead.

But when keeping up with the latest trends, a major issue can be affording fashion purchases. Williams and Simmons both said that places like Topshop, Zara and ASOS.com are great for online shopping and have a wide selection of vogue items, but these places can be pricey. Students can avoid going through all their spending money by checking out the sale sections of these sites for the best deals.

“As students, we’re on a budget so it’s important to buy essentials first and build up your closet from there,” Simmons said. “You have to look at what you want and can find similar great pieces at a lot of different stores. You should invest in essential pieces that you’ll wear over and over.”

No matter how acclaimed a style may be, wearing trends that are outside of a student’s comfort zone isn’t worth the price, Williams and Simmons said. Both believe that fashion is not necessarily limited to the most recent trends, but students can wear anything they want as long as they wear it with confiden=ce.

“Making something your own is always the number one thing you can do to be fashionable,” Williams said.

Asif Bhatti, sophomore in Engineering, is known among his peers for being a well-dressed individual, according to Marya Jan, sophomore in LAS. However, Bhatti thinks that being “fashionable” is subjective.

“I just dress the way I feel and people think it is nice, but I think fashion is relative to each person,” Bhatti said. “It shows people’s personalities and people’s tastes can be different. It is hard to say what is good and bad because everyone has their own style.”

Simmons said that there is a difference between fashion and style, and that many times people get confused.

“Fashion is different from person to person,” Simmons said. “Fashion and style are two different things, and that’s why people get so confused. I feel like we’re in the age where we develop our own styles in college.”

Fashion has less to do with what is in and more to do with how people feel about what they’re wearing.

“The way that you look represents the way that you feel,” Bhatti said. “I’ve always been a big believer in that notion — that when you look good, you feel good.”

Saher can be reached at [email protected]