Big Gigantic returns to Canopy Club Monday

Big Gigantic, a livetronica duo from Boulder, Colo., is performing at The Canopy Club in Urbana on Monday. Minnesota, a producer and DJ from Santa Cruz, Calif., along with the band Positive Vibr8ions, will be opening for Big Gigantic.

Big Gigantic comprises saxophonist/producer Dominic Lalli and drummer Jeremy Salken. After Lalli graduated from the Manhattan School of Music in New York City with a master’s degree in jazz, he relocated to Boulder, Colo. Lalli and Salken met each other through Boulder’s music scene, where they were both playing gigs in jazz and funk bands. From there, in 2008, Salken and Lalli began performing together and experimented with traditional DJing and the incorporation of live instruments.

The pair has been referred to as a “livetronica” duo, which encompasses a style of music that fuses jam band elements with electronica. The word is a combination of live music and electronica, which reflects the overall music Big Gigantic produces. Salken and Lalli work together on stage, alternating between the keyboard, saxophone and tracks on their laptop to offer a sound experience that is distinctly Big Gigantic.

Before Lalli and Salken began performing at sold-out venues and headlining music festivals, they started with a more local approach. In 2008, they were playing shows in the Boulder, Colo. area and around the country. Soon after, in 2009, they released their debut album, “Fire It Up,” and proceeded to set out on a full U.S. tour, according to a press release.

In 2009, they also released their second album, “Wide Awake,” following up with “A Place Behind The Moon” in 2010, and “Nocturnal” in January 2012. “Nocturnal” reached the No. 2 spot on iTunes’ electronic charts and has received over 750,000 downloads. Their album, “Nocturnal,” is fitted with 11 tracks that incorporate the elements they are known for: the saxophone, the drums and funky beats.

In the past year and a half, the duo have spent their time headlining sold-out tours across the United States, as well as playing on the festival circuit. Some of the festivals they have played include Bonnaroo, Austin City Limits, Lollapalooza, North Coast and Outside Lands, according to a press release.

This isn’t the first time Big Gigantic is performing in Urbana. In November 2012, they performed at The Canopy Club.

Jenna Liu, a sophomore in Media, will be attending Big Gigantic’s concert tomorrow night.

“I love their music and I’ve heard a lot about their performances, so I’m even more excited to finally experience Big Gigantic live,” she said.

During their shows, Big Gigantic plays songs off their albums, as well as various songs they have remixed. Their performance often features a variety of songs, some old, new, unreleased, as well as their own remixes of popular songs, including Aloe Blaac’s “I Need a Dollar,” Jay-Z’s “Can I Get A …,” Kanye West’s “Get ‘Em High,” and Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’ “Can’t Hold Us.”

Doors open at 7:30 p.m., and the show begins at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are still on sale for $20.50 in advance, and $25 at the door.

Rohaina can be reached at [email protected].