Greek houses prepare final fall philanthropies

On the weekends of the fall semester, Frat Park and Greek houses across campus are typically filled with everything from mud-covered students, inflatable bounce houses, flag football games and barbecues. The middle of October normally marks the high point for members of Greek life and other students to participate in the remaining Greek-life fall philanthropies.

Panhellenic Council and Interfraternity Council chapters are now preparing to put on the final fall philanthropies in the coming weeks through bringing together students to help raise money for a variety of different organizations and charities, all for a multitude of causes.

“Being a member of Panhellenic Council, you agree to uphold six values and one of those values is service,” said Celeste Niemann, PHC vice president of service and senior in LAS. “The fact that service is one of our six values is because we feel it is so important to give back to not only the campus, but the community.”

Here is a preview for the season’s remaining philanthropies:

4-H House Bake Sale

When: Oct. 17, 6:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Where: 4-H House. located at 805 W. Ohio St. in Urbana

Cause: Journey

Journey is 4-H’s philanthropy established to honor two former 4-H house members, Jennifer and Jackie Esworthy, who were killed in a drunk driving accident in 1997.Jennifer, a 1997 graduate of the University, was a former president of the 4-H House along with many other positions. Jackie would have been an incoming freshman student and was planning to join the 4-H household.

“We later learned that the drunk driver was a repeat offender and that he had lost his license,” said Hope Camden, junior in LAS and 4-H House’s philanthropy chair. “So our Journey philanthropy goes to purchase cameras to be placed in local police vehicles to attempt to catch repeat drunk driver offenders and help get them off the road.”

Gamma Phi Beta Crescent Classic Kickball Tournament

When: Oct. 20, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Where: Campus Recreation Softball Fields in Urbana

Cause: Girls on the Run

For the first time, Gamma Phi Beta will be donating the proceeds from this year’s Crescent Classic to Girls on the Run, a national non-profit organization that focuses on improving middle-school-aged girls’ confidence, goal setting and self-encouragement.

“I don’t think many organizations focus on young women, and I think that it is nice we get to be a part of that,” said Emily Mohr, Gamma Phi Beta’s internal philanthropy chair and senior in LAS. “Especially because every girl and a ton of boys have to go through this, it is something that is close to all, which is nice.”

Mohr stated that they hope to have a personal connection with the girls that they raise funds for, as they plan to meet them at a 5K next spring. Additionally, she hopes the girls can see positive female role models through the Gamma Phi Beta members that will attend the 5K.

The Crescent Classic Kickball Tournament is open to the entire campus community and will feature a variety of Greek houses and clubs, such as teams from the Evans Scholars house and the hockey team.

Mohr hopes that everyone has a great time and said all are encouraged to donate. All donations raised from the event will be matched in its entirety by the Gamma Phi Beta International organization.

“I hope people appreciate that their time, effort and donation is being put toward a good cause,” Mohr said.

Kappa Alpha Theta’s Theta Hoops

When: Oct. 20, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Where: Kappa Alpha Theta House, located at 611 E. Daniel St. in Champaign

Cause: Court Appointed Special Advocates

Kappa Alpha Theta will host its annual Theta Hoops philanthropy, a three-on-three basketball tournament that will take place on Daniel Street between Espresso Royale and the Illini Union Bookstore. The block will hold three courts, and all students are welcome to participate in the event.

The Theta Hoops philanthropy’s proceeds go toward CASA, an organization that aims to help children who go through the court system and migrate between homes frequently.

Suzanne Kirk, Kappa Alpha Theta’s internal philanthropy chair and junior in LAS, said the children are assigned a representative to stand up for them in court and to act as a voice for the children who can’t speak for themselves. The representatives assist with the legal processes and ensure they are placed in a stable home and a safe place. The Champaign CASA currently serves approximately 400 children.

Alpha Epsilon Phi and Psi Upsilon Floor Hockey Tournament

When: Nov. 17, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Where: Campus Recreation Center East in Urbana

Cause: Sharsheret

Alpha Epsilon Phi and Psi Upsilon will co-host their first-ever Chicago Blackhawks-themed floor hockey tournament called “Face off with Phi’s” at CRCE. They will be holding a philanthropy dinner the night before, featuring wings, hamburgers and other bar foods. The events’ purpose is to raise money for breast cancer.

At the tournament and the dinner, the chapters will sell pink T-shirts with the words “Puck Cancer.” The event is open to anyone on campus. Alpha Epislon Phi will release more information on how to purchase tickets by the end of the month. The sorority hopes to raise about $4,000 from both the floor hockey event and the dinner.

Sharsheret, a non-profit Jewish breast cancer organization focused on supporting young women and their families across the nation, will receive the events’ proceeds.

“They know that breast cancer is a disease that you have to live with,” said Mara Dubnow, Alpha Epsilon Phi’s philanthropy chair and junior in LAS. “They have local support groups around Champaign-Urbana that we have actually visited and it was founded by Alpha Epsilon Phi alumni, so we have that connection.”

Declan can be reached at [email protected].