Fire crews respond to early morning fire on John Street

The Champaign Fire Department responded to a fire on the southeast corner of 108 E. John St. at around 3 a.m. Thursday morning.

Smoke was coming from the southeast corner of the building, according to a press release from the Champaign Fire Department. An exterior storage room caught on fire.

The fire department extinguished the fire quickly. Ten occupants evacuated the building and were allowed back in after the scene was cleared, according to the press release.

There were no injuries, and the fire caused an estimated $10,000 worth of damages. The cause of the fire was listed as incendiary.

The 12-unit building is own by Professional Property Management. A PPM representative said 11 of the units in the building are occupied by University students. The representative also said none of the apartment units were affected by the fire.