Polyvinyl-signed band to perform on ‘Fly By Wire’ tour

A double dose of Indie pop-rock pep is set to hit downtown Champaign on Saturday night. Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, signed artists of the Champaign-based label Polyvinyl Record Co., will return to one of their frequently visited towns in promotion of their recent LP release, “Fly By Wire.”

“Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin has been performing in Champaign since 2006,” said Seth Fein, longtime associate with Polyvinyl and owner of Nicodemus Agency. “I have personally overseen all but one of their shows since then. They’ve played everywhere around town, from (the) Canopy (Club), to The Highdive, to Courtyard Cafe (at the Illini Union) and more.”

The three-member band will be adding one more to their list with Saturday’s show at Mike ‘N Molly’s as part of the portion of their fall tour with Brooklyn-based A Great Big Pile of Leaves. The 19+ show has a $10 cover charge at the door and is expected to sell out, Fein said. Doors open an hour before showtime at 9 p.m.

Tucker Yaro, bassist in AGBPOL, said the band was excited to be touring with SSLYBY, whom they’ve repeatedly cited as an influence for their band’s work.

“We’ve always talked about this being the greatest tour for two bands with the longest names ever,” Yaro joked. “We thought it would be the most ridiculous possible concert posters, so that’s probably the greatest thing about touring with them.”

Both bands will be promoting their latest album releases, with SSLYBY’s fourth studio album being the most recent, released on Sept. 17, and AGBPOL’s sophomore release “You’re Always On My Mind” having debuted on July 2 through Topshelf Records. Although of different energies and distinct styles, both bands make a power Indie-rock duo to entice local music fans to come out and enjoy a night of new and familiar sounds.

Alexis Hunzinger, DJ at Pizza FM and sophomore in LAS, said she first listened to SSLYBY’s newest album while going through releases received at the Pizza FM offices.

“It’ll be interesting to see how their style translates in person, knowing that they have a more toned-down, calmer style (on the recording) and if that’s going to show in the performance setting,” she said.

In contrast to a string of acoustic EP releases in 2011, AGBPOL’s latest work promises to bring a high-energy set for Saturday night, nuanced with performances of new material, dynamic vocal harmonies and live improvisations, Yaro said.

“I like all the stuff that Topshelf Records puts out … that’s why I got into (AGBPOL),” said Veronica Mullen, junior in Media. “They give off a cool vibe in their shows from what I’ve heard, and I’ve heard they’re a really good band to see live.”

Sarah can be reached at [email protected].