‘Harlem Shake’ DJ to perform at Foellinger Auditorium

His hip-hop beats and bass-heavy tracks rose to fame with the “Harlem Shake.” But with another EP in the works and a new track with hip-hop producer Just Blaze featuring Jay-Z, Baauer is more than a viral sensation. 

The dynamic producer and DJ will be performing at Foellinger Auditorium on Monday night at 9:30 p.m., with doors opening at 9 p.m. Presented by the registered student organization Star Course, the show is the first EDM performance the organization has brought to campus.

“I think what makes Baauer a unique artist in his field is his intricate placement of beats and sounds,” said Premal Tailor, junior in Engineering, who will be attending the show.

Harry Bauer Rodrigues, or Baauer, began producing music in his bedroom when he was 13 years old. Though he lived in several different countries as a child, he moved to New York City to attend City College and study audio technology. Baauer lived in Harlem for two years and then settled into Brooklyn in 2009. 

In August 2012, he signed to LuckyMe record label and released his debut EP, “Dum Dum.” Thanks to an Internet meme that shot his track “Harlem Shake” into overnight stardom, the producer and DJ became widely known to University students, along with the rest of the country, in early 2013. 

Since then, Baauer won “EDM Song of the Year” and “Dance Song of the Year” at the 2013 Billboard Music Awards. He was also named one of Fuse’s 30 Must-See Acts at South by Southwest 2013. 

After performing at The Canopy Club last January before “Harlem Shake” went viral, Baauer’s Monday night performance at Foellinger will be the artist’s first performance on campus as a nationally known name. 

“Foellinger Auditorium has been the home of Star Course shows since we had our first one in 1919,” said Donald Bauer Jr., senior manager for Star Course and senior in Business. “The venue has incredible acoustics and was built for live music. We have hosted artists from all genres of music over the last 100 years, and it has always worked well. We decided to keep the tradition going.”

While the process varies for each artist that Star Course brings to campus, the RSO was contacted by a middle agent through Baauer’s agency. The agency wanted to book a few last-minute dates in the Midwest, and Baauer’s upcoming University performance is one of more than 30 shows in his nationwide tour.

“I think students will have a more personal connection to the artist after the University came together and made its own Harlem Shake video,” said Hannah Ahn, one of Star Course’s public relations managers and junior in Engineering. 

Foellinger’s venue characteristics will also allow for an added intensity to Baauer’s signature dynamic set. 

“I am also definitely excited to see how his lights look in a dome-shaped room,” Bauer said. “It will be cool to see Foellinger turned into a giant party of Illinois. It will be an experience in Foellinger few students will be able to forget.” 

Tickets are $12 for students and $15 for the public. Tickets are still available for purchase at the Illinois Ticket Office or online at UofIAssemblyHall.com.  

Alice can be reached at [email protected].