Polyvinyl band tributes label, fans, friends at Mike ‘N Molly’s

In the tight, intimate setting of Mike ‘N Molly’s second-floor performance space, Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin performed a varied mix of debut-album favorites, mid-career pop gems and their latest indie rock, sugar-coated tracks off their latest studio album, “Fly By Wire.” Combined with their opener, A Great Big Pile of Leaves, the duo put on a spirited indie pop-rock performance Saturday night.

The show made for an interesting hybrid of tour-end performance mastership and record-label-hometown energy. SSLYBY, signed to the locally based Polyvinyl Record Co., seemed especially appreciative toward their label representatives, local fans and over two-week touring partners and openers on their second-to-last stop on their fall tour. 

AGBPOL kicked off the night’s performance after doors opened at 9 p.m., pulling dominantly from their latest, sophomore album release, “You’re Always On My Mind.” Guitarist Matt Fazzi (previously in Taking Back Sunday) energetically led their set filled with sugary, indie-rock tracks on the frontline, smiling broadly and throwing his body enthusiastically into every song. Drummer Tyler Soucy seemed especially impressive with his tight execution of the set’s varied rhythms and provided an energy counterpart on the back of the stage. Throwing around playful banter between songs, guitarist and vocalist Pete Weiland and bassist Tucker Yaro provided the nostalgic lyrics and heartfelt melodies that swept the set and hooked fans into dancing jitters. 

Following the breakdown and set up between the two bands, SSLYBY went on around 10:30 p.m. to a now packed room. Donning a pair of wayfarer sunglasses, Philip Dickey crooned a sweet “thank you” to attending Polyvinyl employees, audience members and even a specific fan, Kevin, who was now seeing the band for the third time in a row. 

The three-member band toured with additional musicians, and members made several switches between instruments during the set. Moving from guitar, drums and vocals, Dickey led smooth transitions between each song, jumping between releases from early in their career to their latest “Fly By Wire” album released in September. 

My all-time favorite moment of the night was their seamless transition from the recently released track “Ms. Dot” to the bridge of the popular favorite “House Fire” off their first full-length album. Being a long-time fan of the band since that first full-length release, it created a nostalgic hybrid to highlight a wonderfully performed show.

Dickey was also very likable in his intent to establish an interactive show with audience members, initiating rhythmic clapping and hand waving while pointing to audience members and jumping off stage equipment during the set. Twice he attempted to hang on an elevated speaker and nearly made it tip into the crowd, but it was fortunately saved and repositioned by audience members below. 

After the set, both bands invited fans to meet and chat with them at the merchandise table in the back of the room, with Dickey adding “come do bad things with us tonight.” 

Sarah is a junior in Media. She can be reached [email protected].