Illinois only has itself to blame in loss to Indiana

Guard Stanford Robinson drives into the lane during Sunday’s game against Illinois at Assembly Hall. Indiana won 56-46.

Illinois’ loss at the hands of Indiana on Sunday had a different feel to it. The loss was nothing new, as it marked the Illini’s sixth defeat in a row, but something was more ominous about this one. After falling 56-46 to the Hoosiers, I just don’t know what it will take for Illinois to end this skid.

Illinois lost by just seven points to a No. 17 ranked Ohio State squad Thursday, despite Rayvonte Rice finishing with zero points. The Illini lost by double-digits Sunday to Indiana, who lost consecutive games entering the contest.

Rice even had a complete 180 turnaround from his performance against Ohio State. The Drake transfer scored 12 of Illinois’ first 16 points on 4-for-4 shooting from the field. He even drained his first three 3-point attempts. His shot was falling, his legs looked fresh, the confidence was back, but Illinois still trailed 19-16 at that point.

After a game where Rice took most of the blame, no one else on Illinois stepped up against Indiana. Rice’s 12 points equaled half of Illinois’ total in the first 20 minutes of the game. Illinois shot 32.1 percent in the first half, despite Rice and Jaylon Tate combining to go 7-for-10 from the field. Indiana’s two best players, Yogi Ferrell and Noah Vonleh, were a combined 1-for-4 from the field in the first half. Illinois still trailed 26-24 at halftime. Even when things are going right, the Illini can’t capitalize.

Illinois predictably got outplayed in an ugly second half, being outscored 30-22 with Rice’s 20 points going for naught.

Something has changed with this team. Illinois scored 39 points in the first half alone against Indiana at State Farm Center on New Year’s Eve, but the Illini didn’t crack that mark on Sunday until 8:23 left in the game. The players are the same, but the shots just aren’t falling.

With Tracy Abrams struggling with back spasms, Illinois head coach John Groce tried new things against the Hoosiers to help his team get out of this slump. With Tate in for most of the game, he instilled a more pick-and-roll based offense. Tate put up a respectable six points and five assists — the only Illini assists on the day — but even his playmaking couldn’t jumpstart the putrid Illini offense.

Illinois also employed a 2-3 zone on defense in stints during the second half that was quite effective, but the offense couldn’t mount a comeback.

There’s something to be said about the way Illinois has fought during this losing streak. Illinois easily could’ve faltered after trailing 42-32 midway through the second half, but the Illini would cut the deficit to three. Illinois just couldn’t keep up the momentum.

Illinois will have to change something from within. There’s no savior that’s going to step up to change this team, Groce can only use the players available to him. Rice has been better than most people expected in his first season in Champaign, but he’s not good enough to win on his own. Abrams, Bertrand and Nnanna Egwu can’t combine to shoot 6-for-23, not when they’re supposed to be the veterans of this inexperienced team.

There aren’t many excuses left in the book for Illinois. Illinois didn’t face an upper-tier Big Ten team on Sunday, and they didn’t get screwed over by the officials. Illinois only has itself to blame.

Michael is a senior in Media. He can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @The_MDubb