Big Ten basketball power rankings: Feb. 4 edition

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Editor’s note: Every week, The Daily Illini basketball staff ranks the basketball teams in the Big Ten 1-12 and compiles the lists into its own Big Ten power rankings.

1. Michigan State 

Michigan State fell to Georgetown in a rare February nonconference game but was able to maintain the top spot after beating Iowa in overtime while down two starters. If the Spartans can get healthy, they will be one of the scariest teams in the nation.

2. Michigan

3. Iowa

4. Ohio State

5. Northwestern 

After starting the nonconference season 7-6, the Wildcats are .500 in Big Ten play and in fourth place all by themselves. Northwestern picked up quality wins at Wisconsin and at Minnesota and should be favored to finish with at least 10 Big Ten wins. Chris Collins has Northwestern in position to possibly make its first NCAA tournament appearance in his first season as a head coach. 

6. Indiana

7. Wisconsin

T-8. Penn State

T-8. Nebraska

T-8. Minnesota

11. Purdue

12. Illinois 

In the midst of a seven-game losing streak, the Illini have fallen to last in the Big Ten power rankings. Illinois will host Wisconsin on Tuesday but will get two decent opportunities for a win in its next two games: at Penn State and at Nebraska. Still, the Illini will likely not be favored to win a game until they host the Huskers on Feb. 26, which would put the losing streak at 12.