Black Chorus to serenade moms with classic tunes

The University Black Chorus will perform its annual Moms Day Concert on Saturday.

In the 45th anniversary of the “Mom’s Day Concert,” the University Black Chorus will honor mothers with a variety of renditions of classic songs. The concert, themed “Fanfare,” will take place Saturday at 7:30 p.m. at Foellinger Great Hall in Krannert Center for the Performing Arts.

“(We have) prepared a lot of songs that mothers would love to hear if they could have their favorite artist come and sing and serenade them,” said Ollie Watts Davis, conductor of the Black Chorus and professor of music.

Saturday’s concert will include two spiritual and two anthem songs, a tribute set and gospel selections.

Davis said those who attend can expect a lively and inspiring musical performance and will have the chance to participate, too.

Davis said the gospel selections will include traditional and contemporary pieces, and she will invite the audience to sing along for some of the songs and participate in a “call and response” form of music.

“What we regard … as a high form of evaluation is actually when people join in and sing along with us,” Davis said. “We appreciate applause, of course, but when the audience will sing along with us, that really is a wonderful evaluation of our performance.”

Additionally, the mothers of the graduating seniors in the Black Chorus will be honored by having a song dedicated to them. They will also be invited to come on stage to receive a flower, a Moms Weekend tradition.

This is the fourth Moms Day concert for chorus member Larry Stribling, senior in LAS. Stribling said he is looking forward to singing with his fellow chorus members and having his mom come up on stage to accept her flower.

“This will be my last performance on the Great Hall stage and as an undergrad, so I’m sad but I’m happy that I’m here, but I’m ready for the next rendition,” Stribling said.

The concert will also be the last for Kalyn Hutchinson, senior in LAS. She said this year will mark the fourth consecutive year that her mom will attend.

“(Once) in Black Chorus, always in Black Chorus, so I will definitely be back,” Hutchinson said.

The Black Chorus was created in 1968 by four students who started off performing in residence hall lounges. It later became a course section of University Chorus, Davis said.

Tickets are available at the Krannert Center ticket office and online. Standard admission for the concert is $11, with a $3 discount for students and a $1 discount for senior citizens.

“If someone has not experienced the Black Chorus, they ought to experience it before they graduate,” Davis said. “And note I didn’t say just ‘hear the Black Chorus,’ but it actually is an all-encompassing experience.”

Taylor can be reached at [email protected].