A letter from Chancellor Phyllis Wise

Phyllis M. Wise, University of Illinois vice president and chancellor, Urbana-Champaign campus

Whether this is your first semester on the campus or you are continuing your journey, on behalf of all our faculty and staff, welcome to Illinois! 

It is amazing to me that this great university grew from one building and a few dozen students in 1867 into the globally-respected institution of today. You are among more than 42,000 students who represent all 50 states and more than 100 nations. Illinois is quite literally, a global crossroads of ideas, cultures and languages. From art to science and from faith to food, I hope your experiences here range from the engaging and exciting to the completely surprising. 

There is history around every corner and a story behind every brick you’ll touch. I encourage you to explore all of it. Discovery and learning aren’t limited to the classroom, library or laboratory at Illinois. Everyone here has something to teach us all. And all of us at Illinois are proud to call ourselves students. 

This is a place where every day is a chance to learn something new. To tackle a new problem. To ask a new question. This is the reason we are home to Nobel and Pulitzer Prize winners, Oscar recipients and Olympian and Paralympian champions. We push ourselves to find better solutions and we understand that finding great success often means risking failure. 

The grand challenges of our society today have never been solved by maintaining the status quo. They are solved by women and men who are willing to embrace change, take the unknown path and find the unexpected answers. 

This is your university, and we all look forward to the stories you will add to the Illinois legacy.

Phyllis M. Wise