Illinois women’s golf tied for third after 2-day tournament

The Illinois women’s golf team tied for third at the Colonel Wollenberg Ptarmigan Ram Classic hosted by Colorado State, which wrapped up play on Tuesday. 

The Illini had a final score of 881 (17-over-par) in their first tournament of the season. The team carded rounds of 297, 289 and 295, respectively. The second-round score tied the seventh-lowest team round in team history. The Illini spent the round forced to fight wind gusts as strong as 45 mph.

Freshman Dana Gattone tied for seventh individually to lead the Illini. She shot rounds of 72, 72 and 73 to finish 1-over on the tournament. On the 15th hole to start the second round, Gattone nailed a hole-in-one to set the Illini’s lowest round.

Stephanie Miller carded the second-highest finish for Illinois, with a final score of 220 (4-over), good for 16th individually. The sophomore was responsible for 11 of the team’s birdies.

In a press release, head coach Renee Slone shared that “all of the freshmen responded very well (to their first collegiate tournament) and all had at least one strong round.”

Illinois tied Colorado for third place both finishing with a total score of 881. San Diego State took home the title at 6-over while UNLV grabbed second place honors at 14-over. Gonzaga rounded out the top-five at 18-over.

Michal can be reached at [email protected] and @bennythebull94.