Bollant, Illini women’s basketball pads recruiting class

Illinois basketball has been getting headlines for its recruiting moves on the men’s side. It’s time to take notice of what Matt Bollant has been putting together for the women on the recruiting trail.

Illinois received a verbal commitment from Jaelyne Kirkpatrick, the top ranked point guard in Canada from the class of 2015, and the second-highest rated overall.

Kirkpatrick will join an already impressive class, headlined by Cierra Rice, the No. 66 player in the nation.

Last week, Bollant began to build his 2016 class. Ali Andrews, a 6-foot-2 forward from Huntley, Illinois, also gave her verbal commitment to the Illini.

Andrews was selected to the second-team All-State roster after last season and was also heavily recruited by DePaul, Michigan, Iowa and Marquette.

In case that wasn’t enough to turn heads towards Illinois women’s basketball, the Illini added some experience to finish off their week.

Brittany Carter, a senior guard from Ball State, announced her intent to transfer to Illinois and will be eligible to play this season. Carter put up more than 11 points per contest last season.

Carter was also considering the likes of Indiana and Missouri before choosing Illinois.

While recruiting wins are building momentum around the Illinois program, fans now have a taste of real basketball to get excited about.

Illinois held its first official practice of the year on Sunday.

Brett can be reached at [email protected] and on Twitter @Blerner10.