Illini have strong showing at the Chicago Marathon

Illinois alumnus Tatyana McFadden wins the women’s wheelchair division of the Bank of America Chicago Marathon on Oct. 13, 2013. McFadden once again won the Chicago Marathon, her fourth straight in the event.

Just weeks after the United States Olympic Committee announced the University would be designated as a U.S. Paralympic training site, Illini wheelchair athletes proved once again why they are considered some of the best in the nation at Sunday’s Chicago Marathon.

University graduate Tatyana McFadden continued her dominance in the wheelchair division Sunday, winning her fourth consecutive Chicago Marathon and her fifth overall. The win was McFadden’s seventh consecutive major marathon victory (majors being the Boston, London, Chicago and New York marathons).

Last year McFadden became the first person, disabled or otherwise, to win all four major marathons in the same year. She will go for her second consecutive sweep at the New York Marathon on Nov. 2. 

In April, she won both the Boston and London Marathons, while setting a new course record in London.

Another former Illini who had a strong finish in Chicago was Amanda McGrory, a 2010 Illinois graduate. She finished third, just one minute behind McFadden.

On the men’s side Joshua George, a 2007 University graduate, won the men’s wheelchair division.

The Illinois wheelchair racing team has a rich history of notable alumni including eight-time Boston Marathon winner Jean Driscoll.

Will can be reached at [email protected].