Illini men’s golf wins third straight tournament

Portrait of Thomas Detry

By Lauren Mroz

Three tournaments into the fall season, Illinois men’s golf is still undefeated after a win at the Sagamore Fall Preview. The final round was cancelled Tuesday due to poor weather and unfeasible conditions, reverting scores back to Monday’s second round totals. Finishing at 6-under-par, the Illini were named the team champions taking an eight-shot victory over No. 19 Auburn, who they were scheduled to be paired with in the final round. The tournament was at the Sagamore Club in Noblesville, Indiana.

After a bogey-free second round, junior Thomas Detry finished with a 5-under-par 139, landing him in first place overall and giving him his second collegiate victory. Senior Brian Campbell finished in second, three strokes behind his teammate.

In the first round, the Illini struggled at points, placing them four strokes behind Auburn and 6-over-par to start the second round. All five Illini golfers bogeyed in the tournament’s opening round. Freshmen Nick Hardy (three bogeys, one double and one triple bogey) and Dylan Meyer (four bogeys) were slow out of the gate, but both quickly recovered.

Junior Charlie Danielson got the Illini back on track in the second round. He birdied the fourth hole, which would quickly change the pace for Illinois. Campbell followed with a birdie on No. 5. Detry made consecutive birdies at Nos. 6 and 7, and Hardy continued the trend at No. 8.

Despite a rough first round, all five Illini golfers finished within the top 20 on the board of 75.

“I was happy with our resilience yesterday.” head coach Mike Small said. “It was a tough day, and we faced a lot of adversity with the conditions of playing. We ran into some tough spots, and lot of guys had issues that they fought back from. We played a strong last nine holes yesterday that pushed us ahead, and as it turns out, that’s what we needed to do to win the tournament.”

With its third victory, Illinois joins Oregon as the only two teams in the nation with three wins this season.

The Illini will leave Champaign again Friday and head to Orlando, Florida, for the Tavistock Collegiate Invitational. The highly regarded three-day tournament will begin Sunday.

A win in Orlando will tie the current Illini with the 1988-89 team for most fall victories with four. Only eight other times have the Illini won more than three tournaments in the spring and fall seasons combined.

The trip to Orlando marks the Illini’s final competition of the fall season. Illinois still remains ranked No. 1 in the country.

Lauren can be reached at [email protected] and on Twitter @MrozLauren.