Big Ten Basketball Power Rankings: Week of Feb. 9

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Editor’s note: Every week, The Daily Illini basketball staff ranks the basketball teams in the Big Ten 1-14 and compiles the lists into its own Big Ten power rankings.

1. WISCONSIN (LAST WEEK: 1)

The No. 5-ranked Badgers are on a six-game winning streak and have improved to 9-1 in Big Ten play in the process.

2. OHIO STATE (2)

Ohio State dropped a nail-biter to Purdue before knocking off Rutgers in convincing fashion, 79-60.

3. MARYLAND (3)

The No. 19 Terrapins have been inconsistent, beating Penn State by six points before losing to Iowa by 16. 

4. IOWA (8)

The Hawkeyes have handily beaten both Michigan and No. 19 Maryland in the past week. 

5. INDIANA (6)

The Hoosiers are stagnant after losing to No. 5 Wisconsin and barely beating Michigan.

6. ILLINOIS (11)

The Illini are in the midst of a three-game winning streak after beating Penn State and Rutgers at home and Michigan State on the road.

7. MICHIGAN STATE (4)

Michigan State dropped a close one to Illinois in its only game last week, but the Spartans still lead the conference in rebound differential.

8. MINNESOTA (10)

Leading the Big Ten in both steals and turnover margin, Minnesota is on a two-game win streak after beating Nebraska and Purdue.

9. PURDUE (7)

The Boilermakers have split their last two games but are excelling on the defensive end — they lead the league in blocked shots.

10. MICHIGAN (5)

Currently sitting at 11th in the Big Ten in scoring offense, the Wolverines are on a three-game losing streak and are struggling to score.

11. NEBRASKA (9)

In a loss to Penn State last week, the Cornhuskers only managed 43 points.

12. PENN STATE (12)

The Nittany Lions have split their last two games but have only improved to 3-8 in conference.

13. RUTGERS (13)

Having lost their last game by 19 points to Ohio State, the Scarlet Knights are in the midst of an eight-game losing streak.

14. NORTHWESTERN (14)

The Wildcats have lost nine straight games, and have dropped to 12th in scoring offense in the conference.