Box Office Report: “Top Five”

Box Office Report: “Top Five”

By Jack Heyden

In all honesty it’s a shame that “Top Five” did rather poorly at the box office.

It makes me feel a little sorry for Chris Rock, who stars in this spinoff of his own life, because it really seemed like this might be his comeback to the mainstream. Based on the fact that his presence wasn’t enough to sell the seats that needed to be sold, I’d say he has most definitely stepped down from the company of A-listers in Hollywood.

The film itself is one of the best of its kind. Rock mocks himself flawlessly and allows viewers to feel some sorrow for the rich and famous, although that sorrow is fleeting.

Written and directed by Rock, I saw pretty much everything I expected from a comedy standpoint, and had this film made more of an effort to be laugh-out-loud funny, I think it would have been far more lucrative. But there is no reason to be ashamed for Chris Rock, because what he has created in “Top Five” is something very rare in standup-comedians-turned-actors.

The story is genuine and heartfelt. The jokes are ideally placed and well executed. Everything about this movie feels believable and real. It really is a dark comedy in every sense, verging on a tragedy. Rock wants those who see this film to know what it’s like to have the whole world expecting to laugh every time you walk through a door. And he’s right, as good as it is to be the funny guy and have choices in life, there comes a point where people want their solitude back.

Although I’m sure the film was completed before the death of Robin Williams, it seems almost like an ode to his psyche. The movie is enjoyable through and through. Whenever a comedy is made and heavily favored by critics, you know someone along the line of production did something right. Sadly, the masses don’t want to see critically-acclaimed comedies — they want to see something that they’ll forget in a day. Film is going nowhere anytime soon, and the industry is as passionate as it ever has been, but sometimes it is a shock to see audiences willingly pass up something that really would be good for them. And don’t get me wrong, the film will make you laugh and you won’t have to rack your brain too much at all to understand the underlying message.

At the end of the day, “Top Five” is a bright light at the end of the comedy tunnel. Maybe not Oscar worthy, but respect is certainly due to the picture and to Chris Rock himself. “Top Five” gets my PASS.

My Rating: 8/10

Jack is a sophomore in Media. He can be reached at [email protected].