SEC continues hiring policy discussions

By Abigale Svoboda

The Senate Executive Committee met Monday and continued discussion on the Hiring Policies and Procedures Review Committee report.

Eric Johnson, law professor and co-author of the report, said he wanted to be clear that Chair Roy Campbell and Provost Ilesanmi Adesida appointed the committee to write the report. 

“I don’t think any of us thought about being advocates for the report,” Johnson said.

A review of the report was tabled after the senate did not meet quorum at its February meeting. 

Nick Burbules, educational policy professor, said it is unclear whether the report recommends the Board of Trustees retain its authority to approve and reject appointments or whether it should be removed from the process completely. If the board is removed from the appointment process, the University statutes would need to be modified. 

Johnson clarified that the intention of the report was to recommend the Board of Trustees to be removed from the appointment process entirely. A resolution will be presented to the senate to clarify the recommendation at the Academic Senate meeting on March 9.

Modification of the statutes is a University-wide process that would have to be approved by all three campus senates before being forwarded to the University Senates Conference and eventually the University president.

The committee also discussed the threat of budget cuts from the state. Joyce Tolliver, University Senate Conference representative, suggested holding a town hall in preparation. Illinois Student Senate Vice President-External Matt Hill said the student senate created a task force to address this issue and allow students to share their stories. 

Vice Chancellor for Research Peter Schiffer proposed a policy on classified research that will be added to the senate agenda as an information item. The senate will then have the option to evaluate the policy further.