University accepts Wise's second resignation

Chancellor Dr. Phyllis Wise speaks during an interview at Swanlund Administration Building on Friday, Oct. 7, 2011.

By Megan Jones

UPDATE (4:25 p.m.) UI spokesperson Tom Hardy said Wise will not receive the $400,000 bonus, as the Board of Trustee’s decision stands. Wise wrote in a letter to Killeen and McMillan that she will take a one-year sabbatical before joining the faculty.

In a previous interview on Aug. 7, Hardy said Wise is set to make $300,000 a year, matching the highest salary of a professor in the School of Molecular and Cellular Biology. 

***

The University has accepted Phyllis Wise’s second resignation and will not initiate dismissal proceedings, according to a UI news release.

By accepting her resignation, Wise will join the faculty again in the School of Molecular and Cellular Biology. It is unclear whether Wise will receive a $400,000 negotiated bonus, or if she will take a one-year sabbatical.

The Board of Trustees rejected Wise’s resignation Wednesday and initiated formal dismissal proceedings against her. President Timothy Killeen reassigned her position as an adviser to biomedical affairs.

However, Wise wrote in an email Thursday that she resigns again as chancellor and declines the administration position as an adviser.

Per the release, both Killeen and Board Chairman Edward McMillan sent separate letters to Wise Friday morning acknowledging Wise’s letter and informing her the University will not proceed with Wise’s dismissal.

Killeen also thanked Wise for her administrative work at the University, and welcomed her back to faculty in the letter.

In an email Thursday, Wise said she acceded to the Board of Trustees and Killeen’s request to resign as chancellor. Killeen has named Barbara Wilson, dean of LAS, to serve as acting chancellor. 

[email protected] and @MeganAsh_Jones