Alternative Quad Day events

By Eli Schuster, Assistant sports video editor

The 2016 school year is in full swing, and one of the most anticipated welcome week events, Quad Day, is quickly approaching. This event is always jam packed with prospective students looking for new organizations and clubs to join. With such a large event taking place on Sunday, people may not be aware of the numerous other events at their disposal.

On Sunday, Aug. 21, the University will have a full evening of activities after Quad Day finishes at 4 p.m. These events are a fun way for any student to spend his or her last evening before classes begin Monday morning.

Transfer Student Orientation

The Transfer Student Orientation also takes place on Sunday from 10:30 a.m. to noon at Foellinger Auditorium. Transfer students welcoming the University as their new home are encouraged to stop by Foellinger and take part in all this orientation has to offer. The event plans to familiarize transfer students with campus and motivate them to become involved.

ICelebrate

This event targeted toward freshmen and transfer students takes place on Nevada Street from 3-5:30 p.m. Learn about all the cultural and resource centers on campus and even tour those found on Nevada Street. Also, experience live music from diverse group such as Bomba Con Buya, an Afro-Puerto Rican ensemble based out of Chicago, and Emcee One, a national DJ and recording artist. ICelebrate will have a variety of food samples ranging from jerk chicken, chana masala and churros.

Illini Union Board Quad Day Cinema

Later Sunday night, there will be plenty to do as well. Illini Union Board is hosting its first quad movie night of the year. It’s a great way to have a relaxing night with friends and even meet new people. The hit summer film “Captain America: Civil War” will begin at 9 p.m. on the north side of the Main Quad, otherwise known as Anniversary Plaza. The purpose of the event aims to target new students. In case of inclement weather, the movie night will be moved to inside the Illini Union.

Attending other events such as the ones listed above are great ways to expand your horizons and come to see all that the University has to offer. If you’re a new student or even a returning one, these occasions are a great way to meet new people.

With welcome week right around the corner, don’t miss out on all the University has to offer. There is something for everyone to enjoy and take part in. New students are encouraged to use this time to become comfortable with their surroundings and really make the University feel like home. Quad Day is just one of many ways to experience all that the University provides students.