Early election voting starts in Champaign county

Daily Illini File Photo

An election judge hands a ballot to a voter at the Salvation Army in Champaign, on election day, Tuesday, Nov. 6, 2012.

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Early and by-mail voting began Thursday in Champaign County for the general election on Nov. 8.

Voters are able to vote at the Champaign County Clerk office. Beginning Oct. 24, more locations will be available, according to a press release sent out by Champaign County Clerk Gordy Hulten. A full list of all voting locations, dates and times is available on the Champaign County Clerk website.

“We’re hoping to have 30,000 people vote early or by-mail in this election,” Hulten said.

About 80,000 people voted during the 2012 general election, with 20,000 of them voting early or by mail.

“In a representative democracy, this is how our views are told,” Hulten said.

He said early and by-mail voting is recommended if voters are interested in skipping long lines on election day. Early voters can vote at any voting location within Champaign County.

Voters can register at the county clerk office until Oct. 11, with the grace period for registration beginning Oct. 12 and ending Nov. 7.

Same-day registration was available during the primary elections earlier this year, but due to a federal judge’s decision, this will not be available to voters around election time.

Hulten said that there have been 180 votes so far, with himself being the first.

Gillian Dunlop and Alexa Ginsburg contributed to this report.