Men’s Golf wins second consecutive tournament at Notre Dame

Photo courtesy of Illinois Athletics

Senior Michael Feagles follows the ball after a drive. Feagles will look to build on his success from last season and continue the program’s success.

By Brendyn Jones, Staff Writer

No.17-ranked Illinois looked to build off its first place performance at the Macdonald Cup at Notre Dame over the weekend. The Illini achieved their second-consecutive first place outing at the Fighting Irish Classic.

The Illini faced six other Big Ten teams in the tournament and comfortably defeated each. With a total score of 808, and 44-under par, they outpaced second-place finisher George Southern by 10 shots. The Illini ended the first round four shots behind the Eagles, however strong second round performances by the junior trio of Bryan Baumgarten, Giovanni Tadiotto, and Michael Feagles, carried the Illini into first place at the start of second round. The Illini wrapped up the third round 14-under par to seal their victory.

Baumgarten, fresh off Big Ten Co-Golfer of the Week honors for his second place outing at the Macdonald cup, tied for fourth individually with an overall score of 14-under par.

“(The honor) didn’t really mean too much, I’m just trying to play as best as I can for myself and the team,” Baumgarten said. “To get honors like that is really cool and I appreciate it, but it’s not something I’m striving for. It’s more secondary”

His second round was notable with eight birdies, but he started the third round slow, scoring four bogeys in a row on the front nine. However, he redeemed himself with six birdies in a row and seven overall on the back nine.

“I was behind the 8-ball as far as helping out the team” said Baumgarten. “I just kind of caught a rhythm and rode it out.”

Tadiotto, who tied with Baumgarten, had 17 birdies in all, with an eagle on the 17th hole of the third round. Feagles placed sixth in the tournament with 15 total birdies and an eagle on the 17th hole in the first round.

Two other Illini finished in the top-20 with Freshman Adrien Dumont de Chassart coming in 10th and sophomore Brendan O’Reilly finishing in 17th.

The Illini will be in action next at the Tavistock Collegiate Invitational from October 21-23rd and will face tough competition from No.11-ranked Arizona State, No.12-ranked LSU, and No.14 ranked Auburn. But the team is prepared for the competition.

“For the next tournament, I think we’ll just go with the momentum that we have. I think everyone is going pretty good with their game right now,” Tadiotto said. “For myself, I’m just going to keep working on my stroke game around the green and on the green.”

Coaching is certainly a factor in the players’ game plan for the Tavistock Collegiate Invitational.

“Stick to our game plan; coach talked a lot about playing golf a certain way and no matter what course we’re playing. It’s the same idea and the same basis and this tournament will be no different,” Baumgarten  said. “Continue to practice the same way.”