Davis runs fastest NCAA mile time this season

Illinois+junior+Jon+Davis+runs+during+the+Illini+Classic+at+the+Armory+in+Champaign+on+Jan.+27%2C+2018.+

Photo Courtesy of Fighting Illini Athletics

Illinois junior Jon Davis runs during the Illini Classic at the Armory in Champaign on Jan. 27, 2018.

By Miles Powers-Huang

Illinois distance runner Jon Davis has set numerous records during his career, but he eclipsed all of those accolades Saturday.

Competing at the University of Iowa’s Larry Wieczorek Invitational, Davis ran a 3:58.06 minute mile. The time that won Davis the meet was the fastest both in his career and school history, narrowly besting his previous school record 3:58.46 mark set Jan. 27, 2017.

The performance was the fastest time recorded in the NCAA this season, and it bested the 47-year-old record at Iowa’s Hawkeye Indoor Track Facility.

“An outstanding honor for Jon,” said head coach Michael Turk, per Illini Athletics. “He got everyone’s attention with that performance. He ran smart, under control and he was dominant. I am so happy for him to be back at this point in his career after prolonged time off.”

Davis is a two-time All-American, was named the 2018 U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Association Midwest Region Indoor Track Athlete of the Year and owns both the indoor-mile and 3K records at Illinois among numerous other accomplishments.

Arriving on campus as a cross country athlete, Davis was named All-Midwest Region after finishing 17th at the NCAA Midwest Regional in 2016, running a 30:44.9 10K.

2018 marked Davis’ first campaign running track. The then-sophomore seamlessly integrated into the sport, as he set his first sub-four minute mile time and won silver at the Big Ten Championships in the 3K on the way to being named an NCAA second team All-American.

Davis’ next opportunity to compete will be Saturday at the Armory in the Illini Invitational.

@MilesP_H