University summer courses to be conducted remotely

Mark Capapas

A section of SPAN 308: Spanish in the United States is held at the Foreign Languages Building on Apr. 16, 2019.

By Ethan Simmons, News Editor

All University summer courses will be conducted remotely this year in response to the coronavirus pandemic, administration announced Thursday in a Massmail.

The announcement comes three weeks after the University began transitioning spring semester courses to online formats.

“We know that this decision about summer courses may generate additional questions about summer research, programs, travel, housing, events, remote work protocols, etc. We are not ready to make those decisions at this time, but as soon as we are ready, you will be notified,” said Provost Andreas Cangellaris and Chancellor Robert Jones in the Massmail.

University summer study abroad programs were canceled in March. Registration for summer classes begins April 20, as does application for summer financial aid.

“The Office of the Registrar will be contacting departments and academic programs to aid in modifying summer offerings as appropriate. Our priority is to provide as many opportunities as possible for students to continue progression towards their degree,” the Massmail reads.

The global count of confirmed COVID-19 cases crossed 1 million on Thursday. There are over 240,000 confirmed cases in the United States, and nearly 8,000 in Illinois.