‘Jewel Box’ takes listeners on Elton John’s musical journey

Elton John smiles out at the crowd while performing “Bennie And The Jets” during his “Farewell Yellow Brick Road” tour at Amway Center on March 18, 2019. John recently released his newest album, “Jewel Box,” on Friday.

By Raina Kutliroff

buzz factor: 5/5

Elton John has blessed the world with a new release, an eight-CD box set titled “Jewel Box.” A little treasure among the current chaotic times, “Jewel Box” features a total of 148 fan favorite songs, including 60 unreleased tracks. The highly-anticipated album, released on Nov. 13, comprises four sections. The first, “Deep Cuts,” features John’s meticulously chosen favorites. The second section, “Rarities,” is a three-CD collection of 65 songs mostly recorded in 1965 before John and his band Bluesology officially signed with a record deal. This section will easily be a favorite for any Elton John fanatic. “Come Back Baby,” the first track on “Rarities,” was the first song ever written by Elton John. The third section, “B-Sides,” comprises songs written between 1976-2005 that were initially only available on vinyl. The fourth and final section, “And This is Me…” features 16 songs spotlighted in Elton John’s most recent autobiography “Me.”

A personal favorite song “Come Back Baby” performed by Elton John and Bluesology will have listeners feeling as though they have escaped to a nostalgic ’50s blues club. An emotional ballad, “Chameleon,” makes listeners forget all of their worries as the beautiful harmonies distract from life’s unfortunate realities. “The Power,” featuring rock and roll legend Little Richard, is full of ’80s rock and roll vibes. Uplifting and funky, “Regimental Sgt. Zippo” contains some rather unusual sound effects and musical techniques, such as the sound of a gun firing, haunting harmonies and a killer electric guitar solo. “Scarecrow,” an exclusive song that can only be heard by purchasing the vinyl or CD box set, is the first song Elton John wrote with songwriter Bernie Taupin. Lyricist Taupin has long collaborated with Elton John, writing most hits together.

On Oct. 30, Elton John expressed his excitement about the project’s release in an interview with Rolling Stone.

“I always want to push forward with everything I do and look to the future, but having time during lockdown to take stock and pull these moments from my memory from each era has been a joy,” John said. “As a devout record collector myself, this project has excited me, and I couldn’t be happier with the level of craft involved in such a carefully curated, lovingly constructed box set. I’m sure my fans will enjoy it as much as I have.” 

Fans can purchase the “Jewel Box” Deluxe Edition set, including the CD box set as well as a 100-page book full of photographs of original lyric sheets, fun facts about Elton John, liner notes and more. This album is available for listening pleasure through vinyl, CD box set or any streaming service.

“Jewel Box” is a masterpiece designed by rock and roll superstar Elton John, who hardly disappoints. Full of unreleased and remastered songs, the album deserves undivided attention for the eight hours and 43 minutes of total listening time. 

“If we hadn’t written those early songs, we would never have progressed as songwriters. It’s just a lovely, lovely journey,” John said. 

Listening to “Jewel Box” really does feel like venturing on a musical journey with Sir Elton John himself.