UIUC Film Fest celebrates creative student media

A promotional poster for the UIUC Film Festival is shown above. The event streamed on May 1 and celebrated a multitude of creative and driven students works.

Photo Courtesy of Valentina Grant

By Raina Kutliroff, staff writer

Watching the Illini community turn their in-person events into virtual festivities has been inspiring, and the UIUC Film Fest is no exception. Run by the College of Media, the annual UIUC Film Fest showcases the film talent all across the Illini family. Submissions include short films that celebrate the creativity of current students. For the second time ever, the UIUC Film Fest goes virtual and is open to the public for streaming through their website. 

The streaming video, originally shown on May 1,  takes viewers on a two-and-a-half-hour journey through laughter, sadness and other emotions that will leave viewers feeling proud to be an Illini. Short films anywhere from five seconds to five minutes are showcased, some in black and white with no sound, and others in color with original music being featured. Some films feature remarkable animation while others feature impeccable cinematography skills. There were even films that were recorded and edited using the TikTok app. 

The College of Media did not view COVID-19 as a barrier but rather as an opportunity to livestream their annual event. In the past, it was required to purchase tickets to the film festival in advance of the event, but this year viewers are still able to watch and enjoy the festival weeks after it happened. In order to stand in solidarity with businesses struggling due to the pandemic, for the first time ever, there were no sponsors for the UIUC Film Fest. It is especially important for Illini students to watch and enjoy the hard work that many people put into creating the film fest.

Examples of some impressive films feature two friends dancing through some original music using a black and white editing technique. Viewers can also see a romantic adventure led and inspired by none other than a talking Abraham Lincoln statue in Lincoln Hall and of course, the famous Alma Mater statue. An adorable, yet very short stop motion film, features original music overlaid to a love story between two people cut out using paper art.

The UIUC Film Fest is particularly meaningful because students’ films and creative talent are able to be showcased by different and diverse University students. Some of the films are created by students who are film majors, while others are created by students who simply want to try out a new hobby. And all the films are entertaining for all to watch. In order to support the UIUC Film Fest and cheer on your favorite films, students have the opportunity to vote for their favorite films after watching the film fest on the website. Many of the films that viewers can watch were filmed right here on campus. It is amazing to see how creative energy can turn our campus into beautiful art to watch over and over again.

Those interested in checking out the UIUC Film Fest can watch on uiucfilmfest.com.