Photo courtesy of Apple

Apple Vision Pro

The focus of WWDC23 was the introduction of Apple’s new augmented and virtual reality headset, dubbed Apple Vision Pro. The announcement took up nearly 45 minutes of the two-hour presentation and was filled with information.

The announcement began with a flashy video demonstrating the design of the new headset.

Apple CEO Tim Cook said that Vision Pro introduces a new kind of computing — which he called spatial computing — blending the real world with the digital world. This is the first time that users can look “through” an Apple product and not “at” it.

Vision Pro is drastically different from other VR and AR headsets in that it does not require any external hardware — users won’t need controllers to use the device.

Using just their eyes and hands, users can interact with content they see within the headset. By looking at an object and pinching their fingers, users will be able to choose the items with which they want to virtually interact without the aid of external devices.

The interface looks lifelike and even casts shadows. It is three-dimensional, and users can turn their heads in order to view more information. 

With a feature called EyeSight, Vision Pro will automatically display the user’s eyes on the front of the device when someone else walks into the field of view or tries to get in contact with them. That way, the user is still connected with others, even without removing the headset. 

According to Apple, Vision Pro seamlessly blends the real world with digital experiences.

Vision Pro also works with Apple accessories like Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse. For text input, users can either use a digital keyboard or look at a textbox and begin speaking — at which point Vision Pro will automatically dictate what is spoken.

The device seamlessly integrates with Mac as well. A user will be able to look at their Mac and bring the things on its screen into the virtual world of Vision Pro. 

FaceTime is available on Vision Pro — call participants will be placed neatly into the virtual world. 

Users can also capture Spatial Photos and Spatial Videos, which take three-dimensional video of what’s going on in the real world that can be shared and accessed later.

Apple is also collaborating with Disney, bringing things like immersive sports, National Geographic adventures and the ability to bring Disney World into the home to Vision Pro. Disney+ will also be available on the device at launch.

Vision Pro is made of an aluminum frame featuring one button and a Digital Crown. It has a knit headband with a mechanism for easy adjustability. 

The device can be used plugged in for all-day power or for two hours through the use of a battery pack, which the user can put in their pocket.

It features numerous cameras and sensors in order to envelop users in the virtual world. The Apple M2 chip allows the device to do this in real time. 

Vision Pro uses a new operating system called VisionOS, which supports nearly all features of other Apple software systems.

For security, vision makes use of Optic ID, a new feature specific to the device which identifies a user by their irises in order to unlock the device immediately when they put it on.

To close their announcement of the device, Apple claimed that Vision Pro is “the most advanced personal electronics device ever.” They also shared that over 5,000 patents were filed during the production of the device.

Apple Vision Pro will start at $3,499 and will be available at the beginning of 2024 both in stores and online. Users will be able to visit Apple stores in order to get a demo and personalize their fit.

The Daily Illini • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in