Photo courtesy of Apple

macOS Sonoma

Many of the new features brought to iOS and iPadOS will also be available on macOS.

Widgets are currently available on macOS in the Notification Center. In Sonoma, they will now be able to be placed anywhere on the desktop. When a user opens a window, the widgets intelligently fade based on the colors of the wallpaper.

Users can also add a widget for any app that they have installed on their iPhone without installing the app on their Mac. As long as the two devices are on the same WiFi network or nearby, the widgets will function exactly as they do on their iPhone.

macOS will now feature a game mode, which will optimize the device’s performance for gaming and decrease the latency with AirPods for a better audio experience. 

Video conferencing receives large improvements as well. There is a new effect called Presenter Overlay, which will put the user over the content being shared so that participants can see both a user’s screen and their face at the same time. This works in many apps, including FaceTime, Zoom, Microsoft Teams and more. 

Safari now locks private browsing windows when a user is not using them, blocks trackers and removes trackers from URLs. 

Passwords and passkeys can now be shared with groups of people for easy accessibility. For example, users can create a shared password bank with their family, including things like passwords for streaming services and shopping websites.

Safari will now feature profiles, which will allow users to easily switch between work, school and personal accounts. If a user has two different accounts for the same website — for example, a personal Google account and one for school — Safari will make it easier to quickly switch between the two profiles without logging out and back in. Browser extensions and favorite websites will also be customizable based on profiles.

Users can now add web apps to their dock, which allows them to add individual websites as an app for quick and easy access.

The developer beta for this software became available on Monday and public betas will be available in July. The update will be available to all users in the fall.

The Daily Illini • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in