Photo courtesy of Apple

New 15-inch MacBook Air

WWDC23 kicked off with new Mac announcements. Senior Vice President of Hardware Engineering John Ternus began by sharing that the 13-inch MacBook Air with Apple’s M2 processor is the world’s best selling laptop.

This led into the announcement of the new 15-inch MacBook Air, a device with very similar specifications and a larger form factor than the 13-inch model. Featuring a Liquid Retina display and a maximum brightness of 500 nits, Apple claims that everything will look “remarkably rich and vibrant.” It boasts the M2 chip, making it 12 times faster than the fastest Intel-based MacBook Air.

The new Air will also have up to 18 hours of battery life. Apple claims it is the only 15-inch laptop that “has it all.” When compared to the bestselling 15-inch PC laptop with an Intel Core i5, the new Air is twice as fast, has twice the screen resolution and is 25% brighter. It has up to 50% more battery life, is 40% thinner and half a pound lighter. 

Apple appears to be targeting PC users with its new model, showing off many features that make MacOS work seamlessly with iOS and other Apple devices like the iPhone.

The 15-inch MacBook Air starts at $1299 — or $1,199 with education pricing available to higher education students and staff. Preorders began on Monday and will begin shipping next week.

The 13-inch MacBook Air will market for $1,099 — or $999 with education pricing — making the laptop $100 cheaper than its previous price.

The Daily Illini • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in