Lisa Chasanov

Chicago-style hot dog meal

Chicago-style hot dog

June 23, 2023

As an off-campus option, Windy City isn’t the most accessible to University students. Located on the other side of Carle hospital, you would have to be decently motivated to drive to this spot for a meal.

Windy City Express offers a daily deal consisting of two Chicago style hot dogs, a side of fries and a drink. For about eight dollars and 50 cents, the meal is priced more reasonably than most food on Green street.

The interior of the restaurant gives you something nice to look at while you wait. Impressively clean, the venue also displays different styles of artwork on the walls, from paintings and drawings to old-fashioned pictures of Chicago.

Looking for Chicago style food in Champaign, Windy City is close to your only option. The Chicago style dogs were textbook perfect; relish, onion, pickles, peppers and all.

The fries were nothing special, but higher quality than you might find at most fast food locations. They held a little more weight to them and were slightly more filling, while not being overly greasy or salty.

The hot dogs were similar. While the food was certainly Chicago style, there wasn’t anything particularly special about the quality to make the restaurant stand out. The only qualities setting the restaurant aside from most fast food was the cleanliness of the building and the variety of the menu.

If you’re from the Chicago area and missing a bite of home, Windy City Express will give you what you need to tide you over for a decent price. For fast food, it delivers all it needs to, nothing more, nothing less.

The Daily Illini • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in