Lisa Chasanov

Italian beef and sausage sandwich from Windy City Express

Italian beef and sausage sandwich

June 23, 2023

Many University students are from the Chicagoland area, myself included. Despite the relative proximity of campus to Chicago, it is common for students to feel somewhat homesick.

For many Chicagoland students, homesickness often includes a longing for the region’s specific style of cuisine. For those who do miss Chicago food, the Windy City Express is here to satisfy those cravings.

The restaurant proudly displayed a couple of images that evoke Chicago-related memories, including a photo of Comiskey Park — the old ballpark of the Chicago White Sox.

The menu at Windy City Express was similar to the Chicago area chain Dengeo’s, which was a staple of my childhood. I was excited to try the Italian beef and sausage sandwich, making sure to order sweet peppers and giardiniera with it.

Unfortunately, the similarities between Windy City Express and a Chicago Italian beef stand end there. The flavors of this sandwich were somewhat unimpressive. Despite being dipped in the beef sauce, the sandwich meat was fairly dry and the bread was overly soggy. 

The price wasn’t horrible, but I would say that, for students looking to have a reminder of their Chicagoland roots, there may be other options.

The Daily Illini • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in