Student body president candidate drops out day before election

Jesse+Tabak+speaks+at+the+student+body+president+candidate+debate+Monday%2C+March+6.+Tabak+dropped+out+of+the+race+the+day+before+the+election.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Jesse Tabak speaks at the student body president candidate debate Monday, March 6. Tabak dropped out of the race the day before the election.

Patrick Li

Patrick Li

Patrick Li

By Gillian Dunlop, Staff Writer

Confusion arose among students when the sample ballot for student body president, released by the Campus Student Election Commission, featured only one candidate’s name: Raneem Shamseldin.

Students were uncertain whether fellow candidates, Bobby Knier and Jesse Tabak, were still campaigning for the position.

Knier confirmed that he is still in the race on Tuesday afternoon, and the Campus Student Election Commission has since corrected the error on the ballots.

Tabak said he decided to drop out of the presidential race, citing prior commitments that will keep him from being the best president possible. After a debate earlier this week, hosted by The Daily Illini, he said that he is confident in both Knier and Shamseldin’s platforms to improve the University.

It was a hard decision to drop out, but Tabak said it’s for the best.

“I wanted to make the school a better place, and I’m still going to do that,” Tabak said.

Students can cast their ballot March 8 and 9 through vote.illinois.edu.

Stay with The Daily Illini for updates to this story.