C-U Theatre Company engages audiences with murder mysteries

Members of the Champaign-Urbana Theatre Company perform a Murder Mystery Theater for the Illinois Association of Meat Processors on Saturday, Feb. 24, at the Hilton Garden Inn in Champaign. ME Online

By Dan Brunner

Whether it’s renting an old mystery movie, watching Law and Order: SVU or reading the police blotter every day, Americans love a good murder mystery because of the suspense, excitement and fascination. Sometimes a murder mystery doesn’t need to make palms sweat with tension but can instead be hilarious.

The Seven Corpse Dinner Murder Mysteries does just that. This ensemble, which runs out of the Champaign-Urbana Theatre Company, plays host to private functions and occasionally puts together an original plot.

One of their original plots is the “The Illinois Hillbillies,” an interactive, improvised show that has two remaining performances at the Round Barn Banquet Center in Champaign on Sunday, March 11.

“The Illinois Hillbillies” follows the murders of members of the Clydesdale and Clumpett families, who are relatively unintelligent and distracted by their new-found wealth. These murder mystery shows are very organized and have clear rules: the show runs like a game. After each character dies, an investigator asks questions and then the audience gets to interrogate the actors. The audience member who correctly predicts the murderer wins a pair of free tickets as prize.

The Theatre Company has been running out of the Virginia Theater in Champaign for 15 years and is usually home to plays or musicals. “The Illinois Hillbillies” will be performed by seven actors from around the community, varying in age and background. Murder mystery shows have had 65 year olds, local politicians and actors from all around the Midwest.

“Sometimes people approach us about performing after seeing our show or write in with ideas for new show. We really rely on the interest and support of the community at every level,” said Diane Pritchard of the Theatre Company.

Kathy Murphy, who casts the shows, said that the performances work best when the audience is excited about participating.

“Audience participation really makes the show work,” Murphy said. “In trying to solve the case, people with initiative and enthusiasm add to the excitement of the show. Comedy and suspense builds when guests react and involved themselves with the show.”

Since the show is mostly improvised, the actors have to stay on their toes throughout the show, said Les Schulte, actor in The Illinois Hillbillies.

“(The audience) might pick up on details that we hadn’t considered,” Schulte said. “In these situations, we have to carefully give away information without giving the whole mystery away.”

All the elements of the show make for a fun time for the audience, said Diane Pritchard, a community member who recently attended The Illinois Hillbillies performance.

“Those who come should know that any support for Champaign-Urbana’s local theater community is greatly appreciated,” Pritchard said.

Tickets are best purchased by the Wednesday before the show, with limited space available after that day. Dress is casual and seating is assigned into tables of eight or 10, with group discounts usually available.