Love is in the air: Students host dating show ‘If You Are The One’

By Tianxin Li, Contributing Writer

On Sunday night, hundreds of students poured into the Lincoln Hall Theater for “If You Are The One,” an annual dating show hosted by the University’s Chinese Students and Scholars Association.

The event aimed to help Chinese international students find “the one” through a live series of activities in front of the audience.

Yunze Guo, graduate student studying engineering and one of the organizers of the event, introduced the show. 

“This show was inspired by the dating show ‘If You Are the One’ on Jiangsu TV Station in China,” Guo said. “Many of us grew up watching it, so we thought ‘why don’t we have it here?’” 

There were over 10 students featured as guests in the show and the event used videos to introduce the participants. More information on each person was learned by the hosts continuing to ask questions throughout the night.

Through the Q & A activities, the guests on the show were able to decipher which other participant had the possibility of being a good match. If one person was interested in another, the person could show their interest by lighting up lights on desks in front of them.

If two guests paired up successfully, they could get off the stage together.

Millennium Wang, freshman in DGS, was one of the participants featured on the show and said the show provided a chance to have new experiences.

“I think I’m kind of an introverted guy,” Wang said. “So, I want to try to step out of my comfort circle and this show is just a great opportunity to make more friends.”

Friends of the guests were in the audience to show support, such as April Zhang, freshman in FAA. She said she was excited to see Wang on the stage.

“It’s interesting to see her interacting with other guests,” Zhang said. “She is so brave to stand on the stage. I’m proud of her no matter if she takes a guest off the stage or not.”

Participants used their skills to showcase their interests on stage. Yuqing Mao, a graduate student studying engineering, used her musical talents to set herself apart from the rest of the guests with a short viola performance.

“As a PhD candidate, I don’t have as many opportunities to make new friends as undergrads do,” Mao said. “That’s why I came here, to have some friends outside of the lab. And I think it would be great to find someone who can experience the world with me and maybe play instruments with me.”

The show was enjoyed by many students in attendance and CSSA plans on continuing the tradition for future students.

“We hope to help every Chinese student who enrolled in our show to find love,” Guo said.