Finding art in a school full of tech

The University of Illinois is widely recognized for its engineering, technological and sports programs. However, beyond the world of code, a booming arts culture can be found on campus. 

Under the college of fine and applied arts, there are many facilities waiting for students’ usage.  There are multiple spaces that facilitate crafts ranging from ceramics to textiles that may be little known among current students.

3D fabrication labs are available in Flagg Hall. These labs allow large art projects to come to life with equipment available such as saws, sanders, a drill press and other tools. 

There are varying levels of equipment available depending on the student’s experience in 3D fabrication. To use the level one tools, the student must complete the lab safety orientation provided by the building’s staff.

Room 123 in Flagg Hall is home to another creative space on campus — a ceramics lab is available for student use with specialized training. 

For students with Art and Design facilities access, digital labs are ready to start printing. The University’s labs include equipment capable of laser printing, inkjet printing, 3D printing and risograph printing. 

For photographers, shooting studios can be rented throughout the school year.  The studios are located in 334 and 336 in the Art & Design building.

Photographers can gain access to a large studio and a small studio with differing equipment on the University’s campus. Both studios provide students with white, gray and black backdrop paper, tackboards, LED studio lights, color filters for LED lights and much more. 

Aside from Flagg Hall and the Art & Design building, the Siebel Center for Design can provide even more resources for students’ creative journeys. 

SCD has spaces students can rent out to meet with groups or host events throughout the year. 

Along with event opportunities, SCD has a shop. The shop at SCD is a technical and creative workspace, according to their website. 

Any student, faculty or staff can work on models, prototypes, large prints or projects in these spaces. Equipment and tools are available for any phase of the project. Any training or equipment is free to any interested student on campus. 

A production shop and maker space are small pieces in the entire shop. The shop is open from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. Tuesday to Sunday.

SCD also offers a media studio consisting of two workspaces: a large space with varying recording equipment and a smaller space designed as a recording or editing suite. Equipment such as built-in mics and wiring, cameras and tripods, multiple lightings and other media equipment can be used by any student. 

The SCD website states the media studio is capable of enhancing students’ video productions, photography, audio recording, content creation, and more.

The SCD also provides equipment to check out for students and sells materials. Students can check out pliers, clamps, power tool accessories, measuring tools and more. Students have the opportunity to buy materials for silk screen printing, large format printing, laser cutting and etching, wood and 3D printing supplies. 

Even with a large list of resources online, each art-dedicated space on campus is active with new events, workshops and material being updated while students are active on campus and classes are in session.