Students dance for charity at Boogie Nights

By Eric Chima

Students spent eight hours dancing and singing at the National Society of Collegiate Scholars’ (NSCS) second annual Boogie Night dance marathon for charity Friday night.

Each of the 300-plus attendees collected a minimum of $35 in sponsorships to benefit the Children’s Miracle Network, said Lorrin Millette, the event’s director and University alumnus.

“Last year we raised close to $10,000, and we’re hoping this year will put us over the top,” Millette said.

Boogie Night was created in 2004 in honor of an NSCS member, Lauren Willie, who died of cancer. Each year, the group chooses a new charity to donate the proceeds to.

The festivities included free food and prizes, performances by two live bands, karaoke, a dating game, three dance groups and a live DJ. All of the supplies came from fundraising and corporate sponsorships, said Lauren Serafin, president of NSCS and senior in LAS.

The event did not just bring in NSCS members. Morgan Zeeb, freshman in applied life studies, led all contributors by raising $270 despite not being a member of NSCS.

“I called up my friends back home, adult friends from my parish and gathered spare change around the house,” Zeeb said. “People were very generous.”

The dancing lasted until 5 a.m., with energy coming in spurts. The packed dance floor, with people singing along and conga lines at 11 p.m., devolved into a more sparse, relaxed atmosphere by the end of the night.

Rachel Kravitz, sophomore in ACES, said the dance was more fun than a typical Friday night.

“Normally I’d hang out at the bars or go to a movie, but this is more entertaining,” Kravitz said. “I’ll have just as much energy at 5 a.m. as I do (at midnight).”

Not everybody spent their night dancing. Early in the evening, a group in the corner of the hall braved the low lights and loud music to play cards. Alyssa Etier, junior in communications, said the dance was not what she expected.

“When I came last year, there weren’t many people dancing, it was all carpeted, and there were tables out,” Etier said. “So we came here planning to play cards.”

The emcee of the event, Dave Campanile, University alumnus, said the atmosphere was an improvement over Boogie Night 2004.

“There’s great energy this year,” Campanile said. “Last year it went until 9 a.m., and we really limped to an end. This year, it’s more condensed and the location is a lot better.”

NSCS is a student group that promotes community service, scholarship and leadership, Millette said. They hold interviewing workshops, mentor incoming college students and hold several other events throughout the year.

Each member of NSCS must gain a certain number of service points, and Boogie Night provided a way to get them while enjoying themselves at the same time.

“It’s awesome to be able to raise money for a good cause and have fun doing it,” Zeeb said.