Police search for missing magazine

By Eric Chima

University police are continuing to investigate the theft of a 1965 copy of Electronics Magazine from the Grainger Engineering Library on April 12 – one day after electronics giant Intel offered to pay $10,000 to anyone with a copy, University police officials said Monday.

Lieutenant Dave Nelson of University police refused to comment on what progress the police had made in the investigation, but said they hope to have concrete information by the end of the week.

The magazine was discovered missing April 13, when librarian Mary Schlembach saw Intel’s listing on eBay and decided to pull the issue from the shelves.

“We had a bunch of staff and grad students go around the building to look for it, and we weren’t able to find it,” Schlembach said. “It was on the shelf upstairs, so anybody could go up there, so long as they found the call number.”

The issue had sat on the shelf for 40 years until Intel became interested, Schlembach said.

Intel spokesman Manny Vara said the company wanted to purchase the magazine to put it in the company museum. In the issue, an article written by Intel co-founder Gordon Moore introduced Moore’s Law, which stated that the number of transistors on a computer chip would double every year for the next 10 years. The law has since become an integral part of the computer chip industry.

Vara said Intel would not have been interested in the University’s copy because its spine had been cut and bound together with five other issues of the magazine. The company has since found a seller in the United Kingdom and pulled its eBay listing.

The library still has another copy of the magazine, which will be kept under lock and key in the rare book room, Schlembach said. Students wishing to view the magazine will have to ask a librarian to retrieve it for them.

The University of Toronto had their copy stolen as well, and the Universities of Michigan, Stanford and Santa Cruz all had to lock their copies away, Schlembach said. She said Intel went about buying the magazine the wrong way.

“You can find a book dealer that will find the magazine for you for the right amount of money,” Schlembach said. “That’s a better way of doing this than putting out there that you’ll pay $10,000 for an issue of the journal because the first place people will look is the library … They should have found a different way of finding these things. It would have been better for everybody.”

But Vara said other methods had not worked for Intel.

“We didn’t just start looking for this magazine,” Vara said. “Our museum was looking for a copy of this for a long time through their normal channels, and they were unable to find anything at all. That’s when we came up with the idea (of looking on) eBay, because it seems like if you look on there, there’s someone out there in the world that has it.”

Nelson said libraries were high-theft areas but usually not for University property.

“Usually it’s students’ things – books left unattended, laptops, things like that,” Nelson said. “The University has a lot of rare books, but there aren’t a lot of thefts.”

Vara said Intel never thought their listing would cause problems for libraries.

“We were being very careful with that. In fact, in the posting on eBay we had very specifically said that we would not buy library or museum copies unless those organizations themselves said they wanted to sell it,” Vara said. “We certainly weren’t looking to create any trouble.”