Boardman’s shows 1970s protest concert documentary

By Maureen Wilkey

Boardman’s Art Theater at 126 Church St. in Downtown Champaign will be screening a documentary entitled “The Incident at Kickapoo Creek,” about a forgotten music festival that was held in Heyworth just 44 miles outside of Champaign. The festival was a peace-driven music festival that happened just one summer after Woodstock and the Kent State shootings.

The documentary will be shown at 8 and 10 p.m.

In 1970, when the Kickapoo Creek Music Festival was held, Heyworth was a town of just 14,000 people, but it hosted 60,000 young Vietnam protestors who came to see artists such as BB King, Ted Nugent, Country Joe and the Fish and Champaign’s own REO Speedwagon. The concert also featured local bands from the University of Illinois and Illinois State University, said the film’s director, R.C. Raycraft. Raycraft’s documentary features footage of local students from the concert.

“I used to work at the University and I would ride around with Champaign police for the job, and they told me about this unbelievable festival,” Raycraft said. He has worked on the documentary for ten years, in between other projects such as his show “Protect and Serve,” which is now playing on The Learning Channel.”This has local ties and local bands played,” Raycraft said “I played it at ISU, and it sold out every night.”

Raycraft said he hoped the show would be successful enough to cause demand for a showing on campus.

“Woodstock was all about what was happening on stage. Kickapoo creek was about what was going on behind, in front of, before and after the stage,” he said. “There was no law enforcement except for two undercover cops who dressed as hippies to film the bizarre behavior going on there.”

The showing of the film coincides with the 35th anniversary of the concert, which occurred this summer.

“We always try to show local interest pieces and pieces from independent filmmakers,” said Colleen Cook, a manager at Boardman’s Art Theater. “Many of the scenes in the film have local residents or local bands in them.”

Cook said audience members should also take advantage of question and answer sessions with Raycraft after the show.

Admission to the show is $8. For more information, call Boardman’s Art Theater at (217) 355-0666.