Trio Tarana on tap to perform

By Kiran Sood

With musical influences ranging from Indian rhythmic chants to Afghani folk songs, Ravish Momin’s Trio Tarana brings an eclectic range of themes to the University.

The trio is to perform Thursday at 7:30 p.m. at the Krannert Art Museum as a part of this year’s Sudden Sound Concert Series, which aims to present creative artists exploring the art of improvised music and the jazz avant-garde.

The trio also features Jason Kao Hwang and Ezra Blumenkranz.

Jason Finkelman, curator for the Trio’s performance, said the program promises to be both entertaining and inspiring.

“Specifically, Trio Tarana’s music is linked to interpretations of various Asian musical traditions, including the music of Japanese Taiko Drum Ensembles, Afghani folk songs, Hindu chants and North/South Indian rhythm cycles, while being based in non-idiomatic improvisation,” Finkelman said.

Swati Acharya, sophomore in engineering, calls herself a big music lover. She is from India and said she enjoys music of this flavor, as well as many other types. Although more of a follower of modern music, Acharya said she is aware of the importance of traditional, cultural Indian music.

“I know many people that follow and practice traditional styles of Indian music,” Acharya said. “I am also aware that this type of music has influenced many other performers in a wide variety of music genres.”

Ravish Momin is both a percussionist and composer, who has performed in venues across the nation. Momin said that he has many musical influences in his life.

“Even though my ideas are fundamentally seated in the Indian musical tradition, I ultimately hope to be able to seamlessly combine all those influences to create a sound identity that is totally unique – that is me in totality,” Momin said. “That is the challenge and the lifetime dedication to the process of listening and reacting.”

Mansi Kothari, junior in LAS, is a member of Illini Chandani, a University a capella group. This group sings musical numbers in both Hindi and English, allowing them to reach a larger audience.

“I think the music featured in (today’s) performance will be very interesting to hear as it is a spin on traditional Indian style music,” Kothari said. “Illini Chandani will be excited to hear this take of Indian music as we work with this genre all the time.”

Momin said he was influenced by a variety of musicians, including Duke Ellington and Jimi Hendrix.

Ravish Momin’s Trio Tarana experiments with music containing influences from a variety of musical genres spanning the world. The group explores a unique blend of progressive world jazz, despite their New York City-based chamber ensemble.

“A lot of music is rooted in blues and jazz, and from there, it has spawned into so many different types, such as rap and rhythm and blues,” said Nina Polyn‚, sophomore in LAS.

“Almost all of the music we listen to today has come from other sources,” Polyn‚ said. “Although it is not original itself, it has taken traditional ideas to whole new levels. It is safe to say a lot of today’s music originated with African rhythm and beats.”

Polyn‚ agreed with Momin on the importance of combing influences to evoke the greatest audience reaction.

“Music allows you to express exactly what you are feeling,” Polyn‚ said. “You are almost bound to find a type of music that suits exactly what you are feeling.”