Herman, colleagues look to China as partner

By Courtney Klemm

Following a meeting between leaders at the University and two Chinese universities here, Chancellor Richard H. Herman and a small group of University colleagues traveled overseas to China to further the progression of the new relationship.

An agreement was signed in a ceremony on Nov. 1 to build new bonds with the foreign institutions of Lanzhou University and Gansu Agricultural University in China. Herman said he and others left on Nov. 13 for a week for further meetings with higher education leaders.

“The idea was to invigorate relations with one of the fastest growing economies in the world,” Herman said. “I met with presidents, students, faculty and deans … and basically got the same message from everyone: they want to partner with us.”

Although the primary focus of the new relationships was research in science and technology, the university leaders also wanted to concentrate on the areas of law and business, Herman said.

“We have a need to globalize,” Herman said. “We are focusing on having a significant presence in Southeast Asia and Asia. One of the gratifying aspects of it is that (the University is) legendary over there.”

Herman said besides meeting with University leaders, he also enjoyed touring through several areas of China.

“It was exhilarating,” he said. “It’s a wonderful country.”