Illinois runs Eastern into the ground

By Jason Grodsky

It didn’t take long to figure out what Illinois head football coach Ron Zook’s game plan was for the Illini’s season opener, run the ball.

The Illini ran for a total of 345 yards in the Illini’s 42-17 thrashing of Eastern Illinois last Saturday night, and every Illini touchdown came via the ground game.

Senior running back Pierre Thomas led the Illini ground attack, rushing for 126 yards on 15 carries and two touchdowns.

“I think when you can put that many yards up rushing it really says something,” Zook said. “It’s hard to rush for that many yards against anybody, but we felt we we’re improved going into the season and we still have a long way to go. But when we can run the football like that it’s going to take pressure off of us.”

Illinois opened the scoring on its second possession of the game, when senior running back E.B. Halsey scored the Illini’s first touchdown of the season on a 39 yard run 5:31 into the first quarter.

It wouldn’t take the Illini long to find the endzone again. On its next possession fellow senior running back Pierre Thomas would find the endzone for the first time this season on a six yard touchdown run with 2:15 remaining in the first quarter that capped a 12 play, 90 yard drive to put Illinois up 14-0.

After an Eastern touchdown that cut the Illini lead to 14-7, Illini freshman quarterback Isiah “Juice” Williams would make is highly anticipated debut on the Illini’s first drive of the second quarter, leading the Illini offense to its third consecutive touchdown, scored on a one yard run by sophomore running back Rashard Mendenhall.

“The offensive line did amazing,” Thomas said. “They opened up big holes for us and we all just hit them. Rashard played great and was out there flying around. Everyone was waiting for him to just break a big one.”

Eastern would capitalize on an Illinois fumble by Williams half-way through the second quarter with a 33 yard wide receiver pass from senior receiver Justin Duhai to fellow senior Ryan Voss to cut the lead to 21-14.

The Illini would answer the Panthers score with 28 seconds left in the first half when Thomas leaped into the endzone on fourth-and-one for his second touchdown of the game.

Trailing by 14 the Panthers marched down the field on its first drive of the second half and moved the ball to the Illini two yard line, but Illini freshman cornerback Vonte Davis intercepted a pass in the endzone to keep the Panthers off the scoreboard.

“I thought our defense was solid all game,” junior linebacker J Leman said. “They pulled a few trick plays on us in the first half and that’s something we have to be ready for. I saw a lot of improvement from last year though and I was really impressed with all the rookies, especially Vonte who played really well and came up with a big interception.”

Illinois would capitalize on Davis’ interception with a 8 play, 80 yard drive that ended with senior quarterback Brasic running in from four yards out to put Illinois up 35-14.

The Illini would add its final score of the game on a two-yard run by Mendenhall early in the fourth quarter to put away the Panthers 42-17.

“It feels great to get that first win,” Thomas said. “We were all so anxious to get out there and play, especially the new guys. We came out flying around and having fun and we played a great game.”