Canopy Club Brings Flogging Molly

By ME Online

he Canopy Club will be rocking out Irish style Sunday night when Flogging Molly brings their unique brand of modern punk and traditional spirit to Chambana. Band member Bob Schmidt describes how they combined the two styles to make their signature sound.

“I don’t think we really ever tried to label it punk rock, obviously the Irish thing was pretty up front with what we were doing due to the fact that our instrumentation is pretty Irish and Dave’s lyrics are definitely in line with that Irish tradition but it was never really an organized thing to try and label it punk or Irish punk, it just kind of came out that way.”

While touring with the Side One Dummy College Tour has brought Flogging Molly to new audiences on campuses across the country, Schmidt says their performance still has the same zest for life and friendship that old fans fell in love with years ago.

“We just try to deliver the same show that a kid who saw us ten years ago or five years ago gets to see that same show today. We want it as fresh and as passionate and as fun and celebratory as we can make it.”

So swagger on down to The Canopy Club Sunday night for an evening full of great music and even a few laughs. Along with Flogging Molly the tour also features Bed-owe-in Soundclash, Zox and comedy group The Whitest Kids I Know. Tickets are $20 and the show starts at 8.